Friday 9 March 2018

STUDIO BRIEF 1 - Live Brief 



  • Initially I thought that this brief was rather simple and direct. Instead I found it quite challenging because of the lack of restrictions (quite vague) and responding to the requirements: design for the gallery and have it cater to children, adults and tourists.
  • Though thinking about the content in particular was difficult. The planning itself took longer than actually creating the actual products. I found myself being rather selective of what to illustrate due to wanting to meet the brief requirements but also follow my own interests. Also I had to consider the fact that the illustration could be turned into a coloring poster. 
  • I decided to particularly focus on the artists that are exhibited in their gallery rather than the artwork itself since it seemed more appealing and that it might be educative -enriching. This is more of a personal judgement, but I am not too keen on old paintings and majority of their collections are in their archive. Another challenge was inclusivity -providing a range of artists and makers as I discovered along the way that the artworks in the gallery are male dominant (as expected from pre-raphaelite paintings).
  • But overall this live brief had mainly been for experience: developing my skills further, meeting deadlines and responding to design problems/briefs. It was worthwhile. I feel that I also should be more active within and outside the walls of the institution by taking in more opportunities such as live briefs or commissions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment