Monday 8 January 2018

IDEA PICTURES - Reflective piece


There were a lot of decision making to get to this point. But I eventually decided to go with this set due to a few reasons: 
    • It is quite a strange approach in terms of an editorial piece to have a single image, though it works as a set
    • The colors, atmosphere and storytelling suits Murakami more than the other pieces
    • It conveys quietude and loneliness better 
    • It was an opportunity for me to work with space and composition, in which I thought I wasn't too confident about. Though I actually quite like the simplicity of utilizing space in my illustrations
A common feedback given was to create them digitally. Personally, I wouldn't change much with this editorial project as I am generally satisfied with the outcome. I thought that it would lose the 'handcrafted' look and softness of the (slightly) wonky shapes if it were purely done digitally.
I would go with my peers' suggestion of scanning in the final images and perhaps clean up a bit with a digital software. It turned out quite well with the first set of illustrations. Perhaps I could try creating the figures with Illustrator or Photoshop. Other than that, I relatively agree with the comments left during the mega crit in regards of the composition, space, simplicity and narrative. Thus what I was trying to convey was successful!
I decided to go with this piece for this particular set instead of the other was because of the opportunity to use print media. Now thinking about it, I feel that the other design would work quite well with lino or screen print, with simple layering of colors and shapes but at the same time get that organic, authentic textures. This is something that I'd like to consider for the next brief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment