Sunday 14 April 2019

Research & Contextualizing: Indonesian Youths Pt. 2

I decided to ask a friend from high school her decision to wear a hijab (at a young age) and how it has impacted her daily life

For the second question, she discussed that nothing really changed because it is quite common in Indonesia and she was being congratulated for it. She is currently doing her undergraduate degree in Singapore and faced a lot of benefits from wearing the hijab. She was initially scared of wearing it because her friends and the community would view her differently for being conservative etc. 

Her concern was that the hijab is a common thing in Indonesia, but it might not be for her circle of friends. Though she states that "it's just all in her head".

I had to block out my
friend's display picture and name
for privacy.
She is a friend from high school and throughout
my life knowing her, she never used a hijab.
The sudden realization fascinates me as there are
mixed opinions towards the hijab,
even back in Indonesia.
























Indonesia is a diverse country, with over 300 ethnic groups and 6 recognized religions. Islam, being the majority. There are a lot of communities, though not everyone is conservative. There are Indonesians that consider themselves to be quite liberal. 

Within the Muslim community, women are praised to wear a hijab that at times it could be a problem of pressuring the younger generation into wearing one because it will make them a "better Muslim". I, myself, is a Muslim, though often I get comments saying that I am not a 'good' Muslim for not wearing the hijab or not following some of their 'rules', even though I equally believe the same things they do. 

It is a difficult society to be in and to fit in. Things such as the LGBT community, converting religions (or not having a religion at all. it is a MUST to have a religion in our citizen ID) and mental health are often not seen in a positive light. I think I could feel it even more as someone from the younger generation, things change but the majority hasn't




No comments:

Post a Comment