Sunday 4 December 2016

TELL AN UNTOLD STORY PT 1 - Transcripts


I got to speak with another member of staff from The Deep and I honestly thought that she had interesting things to say.

Transcription details
Interviewee: a crew member/aquarist
Location: The Deep

[0:00-0:08]
Diandra: so…uh, I was wondering about the fishes here…are they like saved from the ocean or are they–
[0:08-0:11]
Aquarist: um, the majority of them are captive bred
[0:11-0:12]
D: oh okay
[0:12-0:36]
A: so they’ve come from other aquariums…we don’t take any from the ocean…it’s better to keep them wild –wild, wild and captive, captive…um, the only ones we have, they’re not really wild –I’d say, in our amazon tank, so with the big Pacu and the Catfish, they are rescued from owners that don’t realize
[0:035-0:36]
D: Ah, okay
[0:36-0:49]
A: that they were so big, so we rescued those…so they’re not captive bred and therefore, then we rescued them and most of the animals we have here are on display all captive bred
[0:50-0:56]
D: I’ve seen like, from the bigger aquarium and the corals are quite fading, so what do you think about like, about that idea
[0:56-1:00]
A: you know the larger, in our big tank all our corals are fake
[1:01-1:02]
D: okay
[1:02-1:05]
A: this is the only real coral we have
[1:06-1:07]
D: yeah, cause when I came in I thought, ‘oh that’s really pretty’ 
[1:07-1:016]
A: yeah [laughs] this, this is what the colours you’d find usually in corals…we do have some soft corals that have just gone on display in a smaller tank and
[1:16-1:18]
D: I saw the ones with the clown fish and the rest
[1:18-1:45]
A: ah, yeah the uh…anemones in there, they're alive as well…uh but all the way down the main tank are, is all fake so they aren’t, it’s a bit dull now because it has aged, yeah, but it’s all kind of a latex kind of material so we wouldn’t be able to have that much coral…it’s quite –depending on the species, fairly slow growing, uhm you have to have special lighting for it so it would be a bit different –you’d have to look after them 
[1:45-1:49]
D: is it quite hard to –taking care of like these fishes
 [1:50-2:27]
A: it takes quite a lot –yeah we put a lot of work in it, we’ve got a good and quite a large team…[laughs] uhm so yeah, it is uhm, we’ve always got someone in, multiple people and all over night…if anything does go wrong uhm you have regular vet visit, do some kind of check ups and things like that…um but yeah it’s quite a lot of work and we’ve got a big team…they’re all designated to certain tanks –bigger tanks have multiple aquarists to it, where as this tank will be assigned to one aquarist and the tank after that, the small ones again have certain ones, there’s a lot of work
[2:27-2:30]
D: so these corals, are they like grown or taken when they were small or were they –
[2:32-2:44]
A: yes! We do have a project here at the minute, which is where we’re studying sea corals and kind of finding out when they kind of uh…spawn
[2:44-2:45]
D: okay
[2:45-3:02]
A: so we have an aquarist who’s really –who’s really knowledgable on coralsum so he’s kind of working with Hull University…um to kind of help –because corals are currently in danger in the wild to things such as bleaching, the climate change and things like that –we’re kind of trying to do projects in that way, in conservation realms of things so
[3:03-3:04]
D: oh okay –so what about
[3:04-3:23]
A: these ones have been spawn from small, its uh…its legal to take corals from the ocean and so they are corals that have been from uh…genetics or from older kind of uh…corals that have been captive before rather than from the wild, yeah [laughs]
[3:26-3:29]
D: it’s been like, really interesting to hear [laughs] and its really good here, like wow
[3:30-3:35]
A: yeah there’s a lot going on, you’re missing our bit, uh…um the Lagoon, we’ll be back in February

Transcription details
Interviewee: Tiara Junor (student, studied Environmental Sciences Studies)

T: so tell me more about the thing you have to do, so you have to right a book, but

D: it’s like a picture book thing

T: okay

D: so like I’m just going to ask Bio and ESS students their opinions

T: yup

D: so! What do you think, what’s your opinion, you don’t have to be all scientific just your opinion

T: are, are you recording the audio?

D: yeah, but like

T: what do you want to know?

D: I don’t know, anything, just like I want your opinion I guess

T: ess….oh! speaking of climate! For example I was reading Trump’s policy thing and apparently his chief of staff is gonna back out, like he’s gonna help trump back out of his Paris aggreement for like climate change cause he doesn’t believe that it’s a thing and they’re like, ‘ooh’ the water has been rising? It has not been warming up –oh sorry English, uhm it’s crazy, but like I don’t know, climate change is real obviously, I don’t know why people don’t think that

D: people are actually making a petition about Trump

T: oh but speaking of water actually I got this huge, gallon, a two litre –I actually love it so much, anyways, uhm, I was actually getting rid of my ess stuff today

D: oh

T: because I don’t think, it’s like, I don’t think I need my ess stuff but we were talking and I looked at a page and it was like the amount of water available…like in the world and I’m like there’s not a lot of water available

D: it’s funny how we live like…the amount of water in the ocean but we can’t really use it

T: so there’s like two percent of drinking water available and only…half that two percent only like uh…only like… if it’s only a tiny percent of that two percent that we can actually access cause most of it is ice and in the Arctic circle that’s where are water is usually in ice…so it’s crap basically…so we’re running out of water, the climate is changing, the world is warming up and we’re all gonna die, so [laughs] by the way can you drink the tap from there?

D: we can, but some people filter theirs

T: yeah I filter, my mom also filter our water in Canbera, so you could drink from the tap

T: do you miss Brighton, Didi

D: yes I do…I miss like coast cities, I don’t know why

T: I think it’s just cause, it’s nice and windy because of the waves and the…it’s just a nicer environment

D: I honestly feel like seaside cities are uh…well I wouldn’t want to live in Bali, but then

T: I would, oh when Jack and I went to Bali, Jack was like, can we go to, can we go to just stay in Ubud next time, and I was like okay, cause he hated everywhere else

D: there are–

T: and he said that Bali is ugly…and I agree that Bali is ugly actually

D: like what do you mean, the beaches

T: there are lots of, there are a lot of empty slots, like you know in between the shops, like, like empty land, random empty land that’s broken down and will be rebuilt again and all in all it’s not very uhm, pretty except for Ubud, he loved Ubud, he was like, ‘oh my god it’s amazing’ and Uluwatu too

D: but I also think that the beaches in Bali aren’t great 

T: yeah

D: you know the place I wan’t to go to is Lombok

T: yeah, the water looks really clear

D: cause like my friend goes diving, she has a license and her family goes diving in Lombok, and like I wanna go there

T: that’s really fun

D: yeah, but I feel like uhm, yeah I don’t know, I prefer like, it feels like so chill if you live by the beach

T: not when there’s a tsunami, then it’s not chill

D: but like beaches here are cold

T: [laughs] that’s true

D: it’s usually cold

T: even in Brighton? That’s really south, it’s still cold

D: in Brighton their beaches are mainly made of stones and pebbles

T: oh

D: but then if you go out a bit, it’s like there are actual beaches

T: that’s still really cool

D: yeah, cause I think, the wind, the water, I don’t know, people actually wear clothes, I wouldn’t wear a swimsuit unless it’s summer, so

T: well anyways I would still wear a wet suit just to keep myself warm as well

D: like everyone is in Bali right now, all the Youtubers

T: yeah!

D: I miss like the sun, the beach

T: yeah I really love the beach, I love the beach so much…but if I was given a choice between a pool or a beach, I would rather

D: go to the beach right?

T: you know when I went to Hamilton island, the water was so pretty

D: wait where was this?

T: it’s like uhm, North of Great Barrier Reef basically, like Queensland, Australia

D: did you go snorkelling or anything

T: I did, I went snorkelling yeah, but, however Jack said, and he was really disappointed by it 

D: why

T: because he’s been to Hamilton island two other times, when he was like young and the first time he went there it was really pretty and vibrant, colourful and then the next time it was less of and dull, and this time it was a lot more dull, so the corals are dying and the water is just, he said that the water is a lot more murky, and he said ‘oh this is nothing, you think this is clear because Bali beaches are super, super dark and murky but’ apparently it was lighter so…the CLIMATE IS CHANGING DIDI, ESS IT UP

D: ESS it up, yes, go rant to Donald Trump

T: yeah, that was so random, he actually won, and I was like what

D: so what’s wrong with him, so he doesn’t believe in climate change?

T: yeah he doesn’t believe in climate change that its real and he thinks that it’s a hoax, he thinks that the data about global warming

D: all ESS students rage

T: [laughs] yeah I wanna ask Mr Richard like what do you think

D: what do you think about climate change Ti

T: in my opinion, climate change is real and uhm…mhm you know what I’m afraid of in Japan actually are the tsunami and earthquakes

D: yeah, I though they have one recently…

T: mhm a seven point two

D: earthquake right?

T: and the tsunami warning was stopped twice, there was no tsunami…the earthquake wasn’t big enough to trigger a tsunami or yeah

D: I wanna see the Great Barrier reef, like

T: yeah, the Great Barrier reef is beautiful, however corals are DYING because of CLIMATE CHANGE AND BLEACHING OF THE WATER NEAR THE GREAT BARRIER REEF…WHY ARE AUSTRALIAN BUSINESSES NOT UNDERSTANDING THAT THEY’RE POLLUTANTS IN THE WATER IS GOING TO GO AND TRICKLE DOWN INTO THE GREAT BARRIER REEF –I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS ABOUT YOU KNOW, moving into organic materials and uh organic pollutants I guess, so when it goes into the water doesn’t ruin the coral CAUSE NOW THE OCEAN IS NOW GROSS, DIDI

D: you know what’s funny, when they say organic pollutant, they still use the word pollutant and just because you put organic pollutant doesn’t mean that it’s organic

T: no because organic pollutants are things like salt, that is you know an organic substance that is not like you know uh…hydro poraxeline blah, blah, things that are chemically like salt, is fine and other things are fine and limestone or something like that, that is an organic pollutant, however

D: aren’t they still harmful

T: I mean sure, but, you know the Dead Sea is like, did you see that article about the swimmers that cross the Dead Sea and they swam in the Dead Sea

D: no

T: yeah, they swam in the Dead Sea and then that’s the saltiest sea in the world and they’re like, they’re like champion swimmers, Olympic swimmers and they were like it was really difficult to swim in the Dead Sea, and I was so confused to why

D: yeah why,

T: cause it’s salty, it’s like hard, to swim in it is hard and difficult.

D: yeah but how does it work

T: cause it’s salty, it’s dense. ESS [laughs]

T: oh speaking of like, water in general, I realized that I have a fear of drowning

D: me too, but yeah

T: in, in the airplane, when I’m nervous or anxious is not when I’m above land, but it’s when I’m above water

D: yeah

T: I’m just ugh, I just feel like a lot, I just feel like really sad, I just don’t like that feeling of not being able to breathe and what do you call it, water has so much pressure on it, if you’re underwater you’re under more pressure, but hate it because in the ocean it’s just like it’s just scary, I love the ocean but I also love beach more, I just like chilling on the sand but like in general I am so afraid of drowning, that would be my worst fear, that is why I am so scared of tsunami’s and I’m just afraid of water filling everything  up

D: it’s just like the thing about water, is if something happens in the ocean you don’t really have anything, that’s why I find oceans scary, it’s so big and vast that you can’t just like oh, there’s an island and you know what I mean…the only thing that saves you is whatever is closest to you, like a life boat thing…it’s like watching Life of Pi, I was scared throughout actually, I’m just like what if he drowns

T: I’m like–

D: I’d rather just die, rather than starving and stranded in the ocean, I think I’d rather be stranded on an island rather than in the ocean, but yeah

T: yeah, but what if you’re in an island in the middle of the ocean Didi, you have no where to go

D: that’s true

T: and like hah –because of global warming you’ll get drowned anyway [laughs] anyways, Didi…I actually have to go because I need to Skype Jack, but if you need more help with the water thing I’m very happy to like continue

D: yes

T: kay

Transcription details
Interviewee: Alia Yusuf 

A: they say disalination is still so expensive 

D: yeah…bringing out the Bio in you…talking about this made me miss Pramuka Island

A: I actually don’t because there’s just too many sea urchins 

D: sea urchins, I actually like sea urchins…well, they taste good but like it’s just how they look

A: but uni –uni right

D: but they’re deadly if you don’t cook it right because the poison could spread to the meat 

A: mhm…like, I think they are like the most, they’re one of the most ignored sea creatures

D: sea urchins –yeah I know, cause like…I remember my…who’s my tour guide I cant remember, but anyways, he was like ‘yeah, if there are a lot of sea urchins near the shore, it means that the seawater is–‘ uh…

A: polluted water

D: yeah, the water is polluted and I’m like, it’s so sad, they live off of dirt, you know what I mean 

A: They are the underdogs, there you go –they’re the underdogs of the sea 

D: it’s like, I don’t know how my friend, she likes diving…she has a license, like her family goes diving every summer holiday in Lombok, the Monika person I once mentioned   

A: oh

D: yeah, Monik, cause her brother takes marine biology too, so it’s kinda like a family thing –all the family have diving licenses, so I’m like, oh

A: is Monik taking marine biology as well 

D: oh, no, no she takes something else…it’s just her brother, her brother took marine biology in –he graduated I think, in Orlando…Florida 

A: mhm okay 

D: some people like diving, I don’t know why, I think I’d be scared to dive, its like you only have a gas tank–

A: yeah, but it’s beautiful…like the ocean, it’s beautiful if you can see what’s in it, like Pramuka, I kind of ventured out a bit, away from the boat and like when you go further in, it’s pretty, but a lot of them looks dead and bleached and disgusting

D: yeah, well, pollution, climate change and etcetera, I guess, but yeah, I don’t know…you know if I watch those NatGeo documentaries of the ocean and it’s like pitch black, I’m like [gasps]

A: I read this article on the Great Pacific garbage patch…it’s the size of Texas…you should check it out

D: the Great Pacific garbage patch…you know–what makes me feel uncomfortable, you know when you see like uhm sea creatures but there are a lot –there’s one about a turtle…a plastic, you know the soda bags, they give you this plastic bottle bags for like drinks and it got caught on the fins

A: there’s also one where the straw is stuck in the nose, have you seen it

D: no I havent 

A: yeah that will make you think twice about using a straws

D: it’s so sad though, like why…I’m really weak towards animals

A: I know, same 

D: or like if they get caught up in a net, like any kind of net, it’s just like…or plastic bags, it’s like why

A: I’m watching it again…

D: no, don’t torture yourself 

A: but it’s the truth –it’s the ugly truth, we have to know

D: yeah well…it’s so sad, it really is, but worries me as well is about shark fin soup 

A: oh yeah

D: they just cut off the fin and throw them back out into the sea

A: but they need the fin

D: yeah exactly, but then it’s like a slow death, I’d rather they kill the shark instantly rather than killing them slowly by letting them be in the ocean without their fins –it’s like cutting off human legs, you know what I mean…Chinese dishes, they like those, shark fin soup  

A: It’s…it’s terrible 

D: I mean, some people are working on it, you know conservationists, those people but it’s still there –no matter what you do it’s still happening, you know 

A: yeah, we need to reduce our use of plastic

D: also to not –it’s quite hard to say, like, not use chemicals, but 

A: I’m watching more sea turtle videos…I can’t believe I’m doing this to myself…watching this, makes me not want to use plastic 

D: yeah

Thoughts

  • It's funny how I actually got a lot more information or opinions during the Skype call conversations (I honestly thought it was convenient since my friend is in Australia)
  • From these conversations, I think that I have clearer ideas on what I would like to focus on

No comments:

Post a Comment