Friday 2 December 2016

TELL AN UNTOLD STORY PT 1 - THE DEEP!

I (my sister tagged along) went on a little field trip to Hull, to visit The Deep Aquarium. I could say that it was a really great trip as I got various trips and simply being there, experiencing and seeing marine life in person is different than watching documentaries.

My ticket! It lasts a year and I would totally come back for the Lagoon
(which was being refurbished when I visited)


Got to touch sea urchins, starfishes and velvet crabs. I also got to talk to
the aquarist that day!


Transcription details
Interviewee: an aquarist
Location: The Deep

[0:00-0:41]
[nothing recorded]

[0:42-0:43]
Nadhila (older sister): yeah why don’t you go touch it?

[0:49-0:55]
Diandra: oh wow [laughs] cause I’ve, oh…is that uh…sea urchin?

[0:55-0:56]
Aquarist: it is, yes

[0:57-1:01]
D: are…aren’t they usual darker, it’s like purple, the one I’ve seen before were like purple-y

[1:03-1:04]
A: with the really long spikes as well

[1:04-1:05]
D: yeah

[1:05-1:11]
A: it depends on the species really, it’s sort of the uh –these ones are different species, they’re sort of uh, the orange ones are usually in a sort of warmer temperatures

[1:11-1:12]
D: okay, yeah, yeah

[1:12-1:18]
A: they could be quite, quite venomous, but uh..these ones are really –I’ll get this one out, just sort of tap it, don’t stroke it, it’s quite sharp

[1:18-1:19]
D: okay

[1:20-1:36]
A: just sort of do it like that…so see all, all the spiky spines there where it stops things from eating it –the mouth, the mouth is just down there

[1:36-40]
N: what about the ones, the ones with the longer spikes

[1:41-1:42]
A: yeah the one in the Caribbean

[1:42-1:47]
N: we come from the tropics, we’re right by uhm…the bunch of islands

[1:47-1:48]
A: right!

[1:48-1:54]
N: when I went snorkelling I saw a bunch, like the ones that were this long and they were purple

[1:58-1:59]
D: the instructor said there were a lot of purple ones because there were a lot of pollution, I don’t know, that’s what he said apparently, sea urchins gather there

[2:00-2:04]
A: also the corals

[2:04-2:17]
A: …I’ll-I’ll show you the starfish next

[2:18-19]
D: yeah

[2:20-2:27]
D: oh my god, I’m actually scared of starfishes cause I’ve seen a sea flower once but they uhm

[2:28-2:29]
N: someone, someone touched a sea cucumber, I didn’t like it –does it feel the same?

[2:29-2:34]
A: ah right, I think it’s quite similar, yeah

[2:34-2:43]
D: I like, I feel afraid of agitating it…don’t you think it’s quite…you know? It’s scary...oh I’m scared

[2:43-3:05]
A: so that’s the starfish, the little ones, you see the little ones at the ends there, the tiny purple ones…that’s its eyes

[3:05-3:06]
D: so what do they usually eat?

[3:06-3:24]
A: these things they eat all sorts of clams, muscles…they pretty much eat anything…and that’s where its mouth are, on this side

[3:24-3:27]
D: how long like do they live…? Like usually…how long do they live?

[3:27-3:36]
A: they…it depends on the species, I mean I think these ones are about five years, but probably get eaten before anything so

[3:36-3:42]
D: are these starfishes, are they like saved from the oceans and the other creatures here

[3:43-58]
A: not these, these are sort of the uh…these species there are quite a few of them…but a lot of the animals here are like, they are yeah, some, some are rescued and some are conservations

[3:58-3:59]
D: oh no, ah…

[3:59-4:02]
N: I hate crabs…I got chased once by a crab in Bali

[4:02-4:03]
D: really [laughs]

[4:03-4:05]
A: is it a big one?

[4:05-4:09]
N: yeah it was a big one, cause I was sitting down and then it came out under my towel

[4:09-4:10]
A: really?

[4:11-4:17]
N: yeah I was sitting on a crabhole and it caught me by surprise and I hated it ever since

[4:18-4:27]
A: this is called a velvet crab, its got…its got a fur on its shells, you could tap it really gently, feels really soft…it’s just quite nice I think

[4:27-4:29]
D: oh yeah, it feels like moss, I don’t know

[4:30-4:42]
A: yeah I think so, yeah so velvet crabs are different…if you’d touch it

[4:48-4:50]
N: I like them, their um, the legs looks really pretty

[4:50-4:57]
A: yeah, yeah those are, yeah it’s a velvet crab those are swimming legs at the back and those are sort of walking legs

[4:57-4:58]
N: so are they not amphibious then?

[4:59-5:06]
A: ah, yeah…they’re quite strong

[5:07-5:10]
N: they’re quite pretty to draw

[5:10-5:15]
A: they’re quite nice aren’t they

[5:16-5:17]
D: oh so pretty

[5:18-5:40]
D: are these like…are these uh…

[5:41-5:46]
A: no these are uh sort of latex corals, yeah they’re all in the tank in the lagoon they’re fixing at the moment

[5:46-5:50]
A: so corals are quite rare

[5:51-6:00]
D: I think that corals nowadays are like…most of them are quite like faded, bleached out

[6:00-6:08]
A: yes, the Barrier Reef is uh, its, its uh dying really

[6:09-6:11]
D: so uh if the corals are dying so the animals are uh…would it have a home

[6:12-6:23]
A: the ecosystem would crash and then it would affect the animals, it would be a never ending cycle, it’s a well troubled Earth

'Sharkbait uhaha' - Finding Nemo

Amazon sea creatures. Exotic! 

I'd say that this is one terrifying statistic/fact

Corals and other marine life found in reefs section

'Have you seen my son?' - Marlin

The power of Disney: everyone knows clown fishes as Nemo!

Intently drawing swimming fishes. It's really hard!
Photographed by my sister.


Mysterious and deadly yet beautiful = jellyfishes
(got stung by a few of them once. It was painful.)


I don't know how I feel about them being
tagged/labelled with bracelets stuck to their flippers

Tries really hard to draw a moving manta ray. Photographed by my sister.

Thoughts

  • I honestly thought that I didn't get as much information during the short conversations with the aquarists. Perhaps it was because I didn't ask enough questions since at that moment, I wasn't entirely sure which direction I would take with this project. Hence, I simply skimmed the surface of the subject on marine life in general
  • However, leaving The Deep, it gave more grounding and information on what I might want to do next. I may need to narrow down what about the marine life that I am interested in exploring

No comments:

Post a Comment