Tuesday 10 January 2017

TELL AN UNTOLD STORY PT.2 - What to do next? 



I quite like this approach of comparison. Looking back at it again, it made me think that this has more sense of narrative than simply creating patterns or shapes (such as below)


Though perhaps if it were to put alongside something else, it would make more sense/connection (an ambiguous approach on one page and a more representational illustration on the next?)

I was trying to illustrate the cause of bleaching corals through a diagram.
Looked more like a geographical map (e.g. layers of the earth).
Not as coherent as I thought it would be. Perhaps I should try
a different approach.

I was trying out a different type of paper (translucent) in hopes
to be able to see through the different layers of the shapes and patterns.
I had thought of the idea of 'unveiling'. Though it didn't seem to work well
(the layers beneath aren't visible)






I wanted to try out small panels/comic shorts to help visually communicate the message or intent. I quite like the structure and difference in comparison to a full page of one imagery. Whereas this could fit several images or content, even a 'story'. I feel that it is also an effective way for the audience to grasp the meaning behind these imagery.

Things to consider/try out

  • Try creating swatches or samples of certain elements (coral patterns perhaps?) and not create something purely for its visual aesthetics. 
  • Play around with different media or image making methods. I would maybe try paper cutting and collaging (since I have been mainly using watercolours and gouache).
  • Motifs (?) something I could look into -it could somehow tie in the content and create this sense of flow and fluidity.
  • Perhaps try an ambiguous approach instead of representational, or maybe make a comparison? Or look at things through a macro level (broader?) and diagrams of how the destruction of corals came to be (I was thinking if not diagrams, panels/comic shorts in a page)

No comments:

Post a Comment