Friday 28 October 2016

ILLUMINATION WEEK 2 - Finally a breakthrough. Developing ideas.



Rough designs

Thoughts

  • I finally decided the colour palette. I personally think that the article itself is quite heavy and perhaps slightly grim, I thought that brighter colours would balance out the text. 
  • Composition wise, I still wasn't fixed on the final design. Though for that particular design, I wanted a gestural drawing to portray the idea of surrendering or releasing. 
  • I also think that I would make the final piece slightly simpler in terms of the line and colouring so it wouldn't be too distracting.

Inspiration



1 Million Dance Studio, South Korea
Coreographed by Lia Kim & Boyoung Park

  • I actually had to take a breather. I was watching a dance studio on Youtube and looked at dancers (contemporary dancers in particular). 
  • They were very expressive and that was when I had a lightbulb moment -aha! Watching their choreography and movement somehow gave a sense of giving something away, which made me think about the idea of releasing 'empathy' (?)






More rough designs

Additional thoughts

  • I was going through the colour palettes for the other designs in particular since I thought that getting the colours right was pretty essential. I wanted colours that contrasts greatly and somehow illuminate the subject. Though, I can't seem to find the right combinations. 
  •  I am still torn between whether I should have various windows or just one. Since I thought that if I had used the first idea (with many windows) it might be distracting (?) and not focus on the image as a whole. 
  • I tried out different types of markers and Copic markers in particular wasn't working well. Somehow the colours weren't showing. However, using ink for block colours was more efficient but a bit grainy (perhaps too watered down?)

Plans

  • Finalise designs as well as media. What I have in mind at the moment is ink. 
  • In terms of colour palette, I would like to make it similar (within one spectrum), perhaps with slight alterations since I'd like to have a connection between the three illustrations

No comments:

Post a Comment