Sunday 16 October 2016

TYPOLOGY POSTER WEEK 2 - Final 


Rough layout

Plan 
  • I plan on keeping the whole poster simple and minimalistic to suit the concept of technology. 
  • It would either be in different shades of blue or black 
  • Going back to the idea of 'linking', I thought that it would be interesting to link these different electronic devices with cables and it all leads to one power source, with a switch on it. 

Problems 
  • I wasn't too satisfied with the look of fine liner and ink. It's more of an issue on how I draw these images. No matter how many times I draw these phones it wouldn't look clean and precise
  • Through the on/off switch, I intend to convey the idea of energy coming out from these devices flowing and it could be switch off. Somehow with the monochromatic scheme, I am having difficulties in communicating that idea.  


Material + colour testing

Solution

  • I tried out paper cutting as it gives a more upright and angular look
  • It wasn't intentional at first when I thought of using contrasting colours for the background and the foreground. When I had cut out the screens, I set it on a different coloured paper and I like how it seems to illuminate the subject.

Other Concerns

  • I wasn't sure if this would still be considered a monochromatic poster. 
  • I used gouache and somehow the images weren't really visible. I was really fixated on keeping it monochromatic and the colours I chose for the electronic devices were too similar to the coloured paper. It's difficult to see when I held the poster up. 

Don't really fancy the blue. Not really striking. 
Colours to subtle? Contrast?
Inspiration (I found a light at the end of the tunnel!)


Korean BBQ by Coen Pohl
호떡 (Korean Pancakes) by Coen Pohl
  • Coen Pohl's illustrations aren't exactly monochromatic but I was actually inspired by his work, particularly because of the simplicity and choice of colour. It's very minimal, using one specific colour and contrast it with a darker shade. It's an interesting way to highlight the subject and illustrate light/shadow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment