Friday 14 October 2016

TYPOLOGY WEEK 2 - Roughs & Testing

Collage
Cultural masks (?)





















  • Referring to my previous concern of using collages as masks, I tried it out, which I thought that the process was very enjoyable as I get to try out different images and I could try out various compositions
  • Another idea that I thought of was cultural masks from around the world. It was something that just came into mind. 
Problems
  • I am not too satisfied with the outcome of the roughs. I quite like the cultural mask approach. It's appealing and would be effective as a typology of masks, however I feel that it doesn't visually communicate the concept of 'disappearing'. 
  • Another concern regarding collages is that, it's rather chunky. The more I look at it, the more I wasn't quite keen on this idea. My main setback is similar to the cultural mask idea. 

Solution 

  • I looked back at my other ideas and I thought that perhaps I could work around the 'disappearing from the internet' concept. The only concern with this concept is how I would communicate the idea of disappearing and the format (typology). 
  • Though an idea I had in mind was using icons or symbols of (24) different social networks or media such as Facebook, Twitter etc. on various electronic devices, which may have solve the typology issue. 



Ideas 
Rough layout with ink and fine liner
Material testing with different coloured paper/tools

Thoughts 

  • I had been using mainly watercolours and ink, though I didn't like the fact that it bleeds. Also it appears very subtle on coloured paper. 
  • I felt that acrylic would be thick and glossy. Then I tried gouache and I like the matte texture. It stands out against coloured paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment