Tuesday 4 October 2016

OBSERVATIONAL DRAWING IS A LOT HARDER THAN I THOUGHT

Observational Drawing Task 1

In today's discussion, there was a phrase that stuck to me, which says "...see more than a camera can...". I think that making observational drawings involves an 'intimate' process, in a sense that you get to experience and study the subject up close, seeing it's details, texture, shadows and then try to capture that image.























Observational Drawing & Drawing from Reference



1st - 4th attempt
Chosen reference

Task Part 1

Draw from reference and memory!


Challenges
  • I honestly think that the first task was a real challenge. I really didn't like the outcome as it looked nothing like the reference, not proportionate, wonky, etc. It took me several times to properly make out the main shape and images out of memory.
  • At first, I had been aiming to make a similar drawing to the reference. (wasn't sure why I thought of that then) Thought I think that it was very difficult and frustrating since the image I had in mind wasn't the same as the reference.

Things I learned
  • During the discussion and activity, Matt had been saying that a reference isn't something meant to be replicated. However, it should simply be treated as a blueprint. 
  • Through reference drawing, I should take out certain elements/characteristics and make the drawing my own.

1st attempt (with reference beside me)

All 6 attempts

Task Part 2

We get to have the reference right in front of us, changing the whole experience.


Challenges

  • I thought that it wasn't a 'good' drawing since I'm simply recreating the photograph. It was difficult at first to try and stop that mindset of trying to make the same drawing as the reference. 


Things I learned

  • I tried out with bigger brushes and work around with gesture and mark making, instead of restricted lines. INK! Love it. Though it was something I am still quite uncomfortable with since it is very loose and I lack control over it. But perhaps that is what makes ink appealing, the fluidity.
  • It was frustrating at first, though I think that it was a good method to push myself to try different things and not be afraid to make mistakes. To simply go with it.


My first 5 attempts

Task Part 3

observational drawing of a chosen plant!


Challenges 
  • I was slightly too focused on the detail of the plant.



Other fellow students' works

Things I learned
  • We did another round of brief group critic. That was when I saw really interesting works: 
    •  What I like about the first drawing was due to its simplicity and the clear shape of the plant even though it's only the negative space. 
    • As for the second one, I quite like the use of two tools, ink with brush and nib. Despite the more rugged and undefined shape, the mark making adds character.
    •  The last one, which I found interesting was due to its scale and the student had only drawn certain elements, yet it still captures the main subject. 
6th attempt
7th attempt





















Thoughts
  • I think that instead of drawing the whole plant in detail/roughly, I should try taking out specific elements and scaling it up. I could have tried drawing over and over, experimenting and trying various techniques. Perhaps, the slightest tweaks to one subject would have been interesting. 
  • I honestly think that observational drawing or drawing from reference is not easy. It is quite difficult to capture the object before you. I had to draw several times until I am satisfied whether it represents the main subject as well as the tone/atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment