Monday 20 February 2017

ACTS OF KINDNESS - Art Deco!

VOGUE magazine cover (The Condé Nast Publications Ltd.)
Print
December 25, 1929
Guillermo Bolin
  • Personally I figured that I quite enjoyed working with colours and shapes. I suppose I quite like the idea of clarity in expressing my work and perhaps slight vagueness/abstract concepts.
  • I thought that Art Deco (1925-1940) was an interesting starting point. One of my favourite practitioner, Malika Favre, seem to be greatly influenced by the Art Deco style. I feel that with Art Deco, since it revolves around architecture, decorative and graphic arts, there is this sense of modernity, simplicity and functionality
  • Clearly then Adobe Illustrator did not exist, though through prints, they could still create work that focuses on concise, clear shapes. Particularly in Art Deco, I noticed that their posters explores symmetry, geometrical shapes, streamlined composition, simple and both striking and easy for the eyes to read (e.g. travel adverts, magazine covers)

Australian Surf Club (1936)
Lithograph
Gert Sellheim
Source: National Gallery of Australia
  • I had to mention out two particular posters, since I thought that they were very effective as visuals. The first being a fashion magazine cover and the other is an advertisement. However, what I thought was interesting is the lack of detail and imagery, yet it clearly speaks to the audience
  • I would say that colours play an essential role of grasping the audiences' attention, as well as setting the tone/mood (Australian Surf Club has a really summery vibe)
  • Looking at the Vogue cover, I thought that the simplicity of it is more than enough. That particular gesture of the hand often shows how women like to admire their accessories or nails (a rather feminine concept). Though it suits the whole fashion magazine concept of 'advertising' their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment