Friday 3 February 2017

VISUAL LANGUAGE SESSIONS - Cooped up thoughts, composition and those wordy handouts


  • I honestly feel that some things written in the handouts are quite odd. For instance in one of the composition handouts saying what is a 'good' composition is quite subjective. I find it strange how they seem to imply that there is only 1 specific way to make an 'excellent' composition. Perhaps this is also because of the period in art. It is different from today where compositions could be so aligned, symmetrical as Wes Anderson's films or as crowded, simple or asymmetrical
  • Though I thought that the handout discussing about depth and lines is quite informative. There is more sense to it and there are examples that could inform my practice. 

Depth and Leading Lines



What a lovely weather...

the view from the library

my attempt in creating depth with well-planned,
thought through composition (not really)



  • I personally thought that this short brief is quite challenging in terms of defying my comfort zone. It was more towards the uncomfortable feeling rather than anything else. 
  • I suppose it was tricky on my end as I had to think about the foreground, middleground and background. I feel that I quite like working with flat, one layered images. Though this was an interesting, new experience. I may want to incorporate this later in my practice actually.  
  • I properly thought through the composition, though I never really thought of the impact of it. For instance, exaggerating the foreground or placing a layer of tracing paper for the faded effect. Would it be different? If I hadn't enlarged the books or coloured it full black?


No comments:

Post a Comment