Wednesday 15 February 2017

I SEE FACES - Patience...was the key! (development)



Update on the flip book - it works better with slightly thicker paper (the printing paper was too thin apparently). Though I am not too satisfied with the outcome of using a flip book. I feel that it's quite hard to control the timing and that I can't seem to get the character accurately per layer. (that and I may be doing it wrongly)

(I thank whoever invented the light box!)

1st test with lightbox :0
  • I did a test with a light box and it turned out a lot smoother than I expected, since I was able to trace over the previous frame and tweak the next.

More tracing
  • I did a few designs (not fixed yet) though I feel that it's quite empty and repetitive? As well as it doesn't really convey the earthy/trippy/playful atmosphere.
  • I might need to think of a more energetic or perhaps wavy movements (?)

Patiencewas the key to GIFs



  • I felt that this particular one was quite stiff? I also shouldn't have changed the background colour since it was distracting and there is less focus on the movement of the mouth.
  • That and I thought that the gif just didn't make sense -meaning: I didn't really but much thought into the intention.


Paper cut?

moving the pieces by hand was such a pain

Thoughts
  • using a light box is much more effective and get a much smoother movement as I could trace over the still figures
  • Moving the pieces isn't as smooth (might be chunky). Though I get more control over the movement of the gif. But I thought that adding block of colours emphasises the character. Also there is this aesthetic of paper-cut/collaging (?) 
  • Personally I think that the shadow and the layers between different coloured paper is what makes the whole composition interesting, there is this slight illusion of depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment