Monday 6 February 2017

I SEE FACES  - Love these GIFs!

  • we had a briefing and a little workshop on how to make gifs on photoshop. It didn't seem as difficult as I thought it would be. 
  • I am quite nervous and excited since I actually never made gifs before. I suppose my concern lies more towards deciding on the character and what I would add movement to, so it seems 'alive' in some sense.

MADEBYRADIO


Ralph Lauren 2016 Olympics

  • I really enjoyed looking through his gifs and the common use of simplicity in colour and character. It is also very minimal, though I feel that the vibrant, bold, solid colours make up for the lack of content/narrative/decorative aspect.
  • It is also the looping action that makes it hard for me to stop staring. For instance the swimmer, the flow of the water droplets complements the character. If the water effect weren't there perhaps, it would have been quite dry.
  • Also I really like the timing of the swimming gif. I like the slight suspended movement right above the water and the swift action as it goes back to the diving board. Amazing!

Khuong Le-Leonard

Game in 20s

  • While I was browsing around for gifs, I instantly thought, this is it! (best gif I found...so far). Perhaps it is the subtlety, the whole composition and narrative in this animated illustration. 
  • The movement isn't particularly as complicated as the previous gif, though it is the slightest movements of the feet tapping, the paper, the moving Pacman and the fan. It is those attention to detail that attracts me to this gif. 
  • I suppose if there were more movement it would ruin the atmosphere (?). From the colour and subject matter, this gives off a lazy, hot summer day indoors playing video games (best describes my summer holidays)

KIM SALT


Winter animated gifs

  • similar to the previous gif, I really enjoy the subtle, repetitive movement. Though it is the paintily and illustrative element that caught my attention. I really like this approach as I could still see the painted texture (not solid, block colours). But it is also the stillness of the image, but there is a sense of 'life' or 'motion'. For instance the horse's breath and snowfall.

Thoughts

  • Consider the surroundings of the subject (not just plain white background and a single character). Or perhaps keep it simple?
  • think about the movement. Whether it be subtle/slight or rather energetic.
  • but first think of the intent (still trying to figure this out). What emotion and atmosphere am I trying to communicate?
  • Plan! Plan! Plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment