Saturday 18 March 2017

End of Module Student Evaluation
BA(hons) Illustration
Module Code: Visual language OUIL404 Visual Language

Name: Diandra Wardhana
Student ID: dw262485

Please identify where the evidence for each of the learning outcomes is within your submission and how well you feel you have met the learning outcomes. Please also grade yourself in relation to the learning outcomes using terms:
> poor, satisfactory, good, very good, excellent (Note- This is so that the team have an understanding of how well you feel you have done. It is not an indication of the actual grade you may receive)

Learning Outcome
Evidenced where?
Blog, Sketchbook, Roughs Final Illustrations, development sheets etc.  (No more than 75 words)
Your grade
Using words:
> poor, satisfactory, good, very good, excellent
4A5
Demonstrate an awareness of visual literacy and visual language in relation to drawing, image making and the visual investigation of ideas.


Sketchbook, roughs
Good
4B4
Identify and evaluate appropriate principles, processes and media in relation to set problems and individual creative concerns.



Blog, sketchbook
Good
4C5
Develop and present a body of work that demonstrates an ability to practically investigate and apply identified visual principles through visual research.



Sketchbook, roughs, final illustrations
Good
4D4
Effectively communicate informed opinions and critical awareness through appropriate methods of documentation, reflection and self-evaluation.


Blog
Good

Evaluation (See guidance below for more information)
You are required to write a 500 word evaluation of this module.

As a whole, I felt that Visual Language was different to the other modules as we weren’t given set briefs and was quite ‘free’. I personally think that throughout this module it had given me several eye-opening experiences and room to evaluate my own practice.

In terms of the practical aspect of this module, I enjoyed the idea of simply focusing on image making and exploring different approaches when creating illustrations. Ways in which I never had thought of before. For instance, I had a misconception of collages for being rather chaotic or random. During one of the short collage briefs, I never realised how much thought and consideration was sometimes needed to put into the composition, content etc. I was actually surprised that I may have grown to like working with shapes and colours, as I was slightly too comfortable working with line quality and details (before getting into this course). The sudden interest in a more playful yet crafted approach to image making was surprising. Though I felt that I should be looser and simply explore different ways of creating images. Perhaps I would find new ways of creating illustrations?

However, what stood out to me the most was actually trying to incorporate my own practice or tone of voice. I felt that this was something I have yet to truly capture within my own work. Though throughout the module, I noticed subtle elements or instances where I thought I quite like that particular approach or the media and aesthetics of it. I also thought that learning chunks of image making was helpful. For instance, the sessions we had on composition, it made me more aware and consider planning, crafting and composition into my practice. Whether it is deliberate or not, the things I learnt from these sessions would somehow ripple through the other modules.

Though there are times when I felt that I needed to contribute more during discussions. I felt that I was not getting the most out of those sessions, particularly when we had those handout discussions. I personally think that not only do we share thoughts, but also new perceptions or ways of seeing in which perhaps I would never had thought of. In terms of my practical work, I wished that I could have been more ambitious. Perhaps aside from exploring around various ways of image making, I should have spent more time developing and put more attention to some works (when necessary). For example, the 3D and Lens brief and the fan-art poster.

Moreover, this module not only taught me ways of creating images but also designing. For instance, the composition and framing briefs, those particularly involved thinking and making various roughs. Even until recently, composition is something that I find challenging and would avoid at all cost if it were possible. Though I learnt that it was essential as it could affect various elements such as the tone, mood, how the audience would read the image etc. I thought that the sessions in particular were insightful and I got to know other creative practitioners. I do try not to get too caught up on wanting to create work like other practitioners and try to develop my own practice. Although the contextual aspect of it would often be a starting point as to how I would approach a certain design problem or brief. Generally speaking, it was an enlightening module as we were not really restricted to set briefs and where we could just enjoy image making.




No comments:

Post a Comment