Thursday 16 March 2017

Persons of note - Shapes! Sounds!


kind of gave up reading the whole sheet.
ended up just marking the tempo. 


  • I tried and played Cage's scores on the piano (even though they aren't complete) to get a feel of his music. It sure was different than any other music scores I played as his were very disconnected and chunky. 
  • Although his compositions aren't exactly melodic, I could get flow and chord progressions. Though what I realised is capturing those slight changes in the key signatures and generally the new sounds appearing with every note.


  • I tried exploring shapes, colours and movement from his music. Though I wasn't too satisfied with the first few pages as it felt vague and doesn't really capture the 'sounds' as effectively. They ended up just looking like abstracts shapes with no exact meaning.

Qubik - Joe Gilmore

Artist's monograph for Tauba Auerbach, Folds
http://www.qubik.com/

  • During the tutorials, I was recommended to look into Qubik. I actually really like their work, even though it is very graphic design based. Though there is something about the modern and clean aesthetics of it. There is this mechanical movement going on within their practice in which I thought was interesting (particularly with record label covers)
  • It's an interesting aspect to look into in relation to my project. I might actually want to look into creating shape-driven work that has a sense of flow/movement to them. 
  • Looking at their work, I am actually considering doing this digitally? However, the draw back is that I might lose the texture/organic feeling. Though referring back to Guzem Vural's work, the analog texture is still prominent.

Record label identity and 12" record sleeve designs for Ge-stell, SF
- Qubik (Joe Gilmore)

Music score for Two Pieces for the Piano
abstract?


I have no idea where I am going with this
Trying to visualise 'silence'. It's hard.


  • I tried out sitting in 'silence' (went to a park and a cinema before the movie started) and get a feel of John Cage's 4'33" composition. I did listen to his silent composition, though I was curious whether there could truly be pure silence? 
  • Though I feel that what he is trying to convey through this silent piece is to take notice of the 'sounds', tone and atmosphere around us. However, I personally consider it as noise instead of music. Though it is an interesting notion/thought.








































  • I think that I might do a few more pages worth of exploring shapes and colours to make more sense of visually representing 'sound'. I feel that I still haven't nailed it, to truly capture the feeling. It's either too vague or just doesn't visually communicate the idea well. 
  • Perhaps I wouldn't go for the abstract/conceptual approach for the final piece since it be quite difficult to communicate Cage's legacy. 
  • Though thinking about the media and how I would create this, I might actually go fully analog. Since I am looking more towards sounds and translating it into visual means, I would also incorporate another way of perceiving -touch/feel. If I were to work digitally, it would be flat and lose that element.

No comments:

Post a Comment