Wednesday 22 March 2017

Persons of note - Jazz record album covers!

Coleman Hawkins. Label: Asch Records 1940
Design - David Stone Martin
Jazz at Philharmonic, vol 3 Label: Mercury/Cleff, JATP 1951
Design - David Stone Martin
AltoSaxes Label: Norgran 1035
Design - David Stone Martin

  • I've been looking at old Jazz record album covers and thought that it was similar as to what I am doing for this project. I particularly like these covers due to the minimal and striking aesthetics. (very jazzy!) Though what caught my attention was the combination of colours, shapes and line work.  Despite the simplicity and lack of detail, I could still tell what the album cover is trying to depict. 
  • I did more tests on shapes and patterns, as well as simple embroidery. I thought that texture emphasises certain tone/mood, which I think it does. As what I am currently exploring is more towards solid, clean and flat textures (quite graphic design based/2D)

  • I tried working with text, though I feel that it just obstructs the image as a whole and I kind of like the clarity of just shapes and colours. As well as having the audience, decipher a bit and try to make sense of the intention/message.
  • Though I am still not sure how I feel about shape-driven concept. It's rather vague as it could just mean anything. I still need to think through and plan a suitable approach in terms of communicating my person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment