Wednesday 15 March 2017

Persons of note - Love her work! Why did I not come across her sooner?!

Gizem Vural 

New York Times - Book review section. Paradise Lodge
by Nina Stibbe.
Cover for Guardian Review about
culture appropriation.

  • It's quite Bauhaus-y and  jazzy. I suppose it's because of her use colours and the overlaying of geometric shapes. 

  • Colour pencils (?). I still can't pin point the media she used. Though I really like the analog aesthetics of her illustrations. It juxtaposes the rigid and static shapes with the soft textures.
NAUTILUS - about myths of cursive handwriting in education

  • Really like the loudness of it. I feel that it suits the feeling of a 'crowded mind' = education. 
  • Her use of shapes, lines! Something I would like to explore for this particular project. I feel that I should just experiment and play around with shapes and visually depicting sounds/noise/Cage's music scores
  • Looking back to the notes from the tutorial session, I still need to figure out Cage's principles. Could it be more than just music? Is it just about capturing sound, tone and noise? I feel that I still haven't found a concrete grounding on Cage's practice to be able to visually communicate it. 

My attempt






  • I did a few graphic notations based on Cage's prepared piano compositions. It turned out quite abstract/conceptual. I am just wondering if it might be too vague and difficult to actually understand Cage's practice from these visually simplified version of his compositions. 

  • Though I feel that Vural's practice seemed to have influenced my sketches. I do quite like the textures from the China marker more than the coloured markers themselves. Not only does the shape help describe the sound, but also the texture whether it's a fluid or rough tone!

  • I think that my current concern is how I could link his conceptual ethos and somehow depict it through image making



Gizem Vural (really love her work. obsessed.)

http://www.gizemvural.net/work

http://littleteashi.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment