Wednesday 15 March 2017

Persons of note - surfing. browsing through artists

busy, busy
  • Decided to make a calendar -I just realised how hectic my schedule have been since I have other work to do outside of college. Honestly, I am not sure if I would be able to complete this by the 27th (at least).
Tutorial feedback 
  • There were a few points from the feedback session in which I thought was insightful. It made me think of what it is John Cage is conveying through his practice as well as his principles. Also thinking about it, I was wondering how am I going to visually represent music?? (it's not visible!)
Graphic notation
Actually my first time hearing about it. I was recommended to look into this and I didn't think people actually made visual representations of music. 

Slavek Kwi - Drawing the air (2007)
  • This is a very peculiar yet interesting way of depicting sound/music. 

Cornelius Cardew - Treatise (1963-67)

Gyorgy Ligeti's Artikulation (1958)


  • I find these really fascinating and the translation between music scores and imagery. Though what I thought was really interesting is visually communicating SOUND, something you can't truly see with our own eyes (unless humans are able to see wavelengths!)
  • Though despite it being shapes and not actual music notes, it is strange that you can roughly tell how it would sound like. (mainly from the movement and fluidity/sharpness of the shape). I feel that this is an interesting approach to visually communicate sound/tone. Though this might just be a starting point, however I might want to further look into shapes, colours and lines in visually representing music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment