Friday 10 March 2017

Persons of Note - Tadanori Yokoo! 

I have seen his works and a friend of mine gave me a sticker of one of his posters, though I never exactly thoroughly look through his practice. Though the artwork that caught my attention was this poster: 

'Diary of a Shinjuku Burglar' 1968.
Silk screen. 99.7 x 71.1 cm
  • The colours and (visual) information in the poster was what grabbed my attention. Aside from its rather obscene content, his works are generally crowded and packed with imagery
  • I could see a pop-psychedelic aesthetic throughout his works. Though I also quite like how they are screen printed and you could see the different tones. I suppose it all creates this analog (what am I saying, obviously. I don't think Photoshop existed then)vintage aesthetic. 
'This is America'. 1968. Offset Lithograph.
72.7 x 51.4 cm
'Once Upon a Time' 1996. Silkscreen.
102.9 x 71.8 cm

Thoughts

  • Looking at Yokoo's work, the content is very impactful and in one way or another, gets the message across. I quite like his social commentaries and relation to the community/Japanese culture, as his statements leaves an impression and it makes the audience try to decipher his intentions (at least that is how I felt)

  •  His use of collaging, symbolisms and text are quite effective (and the bright, contrasting colours as well). Though at times I feel that his work is slapped directly 'in-your-face' and forthright, though I suppose that is what makes his posters well-known and distinct.

  • Personally, I think that his artworks are very loud - it isn't something I'd generally approach within my own practiceBut there is something about his work that interests me, perhaps it is the vibe and vintage, pop aesthetics? I also thought that it is refreshing to see something different and I do want to know other practices/tone of voice (since I am still trying to figure out my own).

Source: 


No comments:

Post a Comment