Monday 20 March 2017

Persons of note - feedback

2nd calendar. This is literally stuck on my bathroom door. Need to keep track
of my days. 7 days until the next crit.
  • It's slightly nervewrecking since I still have no clue on how the product would look like and I only have about a week left to further develop my ideas and create the final pieces.
  • It's piecing my ideas together that is consuming my time. Though I feel that I would invest more time on developing  before committing to the final design. I feel that it was something I didn't really consider during the previous briefs.

Shapes! Texture! Colours! Yes! Yes! Yes!

  • There were points such as looking at electronics and 'moving out of sync' that I thought was interesting. Electronics/circuits doesn't really relate to Cage's practice, though the idea of movement might be a good way to approach this.
  • Today's crit also made me think of what makes an exceptional illustration? I personally think that I still can't properly answer that question. Though I believe in the phrase: 'quality over quantity' (unless you can do both)
  • Quality, being the thought and development placed into the work. I suppose that's where you can see how and why a certain illustration is made. As well as being able to see authorship/tone of voice is something I find fascinating within illustrations. I am pretty sure there are hundreds of illustrations (even more) and being able to show that, a distinct character/authenticity is quite difficult.

Looked into collaging. 
Thought of illustrating sounds from
his compositions (Music of Changes)




Wanted to try out layering. I feel that the shadow
creates a 3D illusion. I feel that the layering works
as I might use different elements to communicate
different sounds.

things to focus on
  • Personally, I think I have got some ideas on what I would like to focus on -Cage's concept of music. He stated in an interview that music is sound and noise to him. 
  • He stated that he prefers sounds and noise as they are constantly different/distinct, whereas music basically consists of chord patterns, repetition. This actually made a lot of sense as to why his practice is very conceptual/experimental.
what do do next
  • work on roughs and design within a frame. Also think about composition! Texture would work alongside shapes and colours. It might work well? it might not? I feel that it is particularly hard to visually communicate something that isn't visible nor tangible.
  • Though I personally think that I still need to develop on using visual means to represent music/sounds. I still haven't been able to effectively communicate that. (still seems vague/figurative)

No comments:

Post a Comment